Tuesday, September 16, 2008

'Obscure' Football Still Gets Notice at Lake Erie College

Even those colleges that are relatively recent arrivals at football have a chance for some national notice, as here during this week’s “Tuesday Morning Quarterback” on the espn.com web page:

Obscure College Score of the Week: California of Pennsylvania 54, Lake Erie 0. Occasionally I fret that someday the supply of obscure colleges will be exhausted. Thus my spirits rose when I came across this score, because I had never heard of Lake Erie College. Located in Painesville, Ohio, Lake Erie College is "one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in the Western Reserve," the 18th century Connecticut land claim whose name lives on in Case Western Reserve University. Here are pics from the school's founding as Lake Erie Female Seminary. Lake Erie College says, "Over 10,000 individuals have graduated from this fine institution and all have left their mark on the campus in some way." That's a lot of initials carved into trees!

The entire column, by the author and Brookings Institute fellow Gregg Easterbrook, is at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080916

-- Bob Burke