Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wittenberg Hosts AICUO Annual Meeting

The 2010 annual meetings for AICUO and the Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges, a sister-organization focused on joint fundraising for 34 of our 51 members, were hosted by Wittenberg University in Springfield, Ohio on October 6. The campus was bustling with activity as they prepared for Homecoming Weekend and red and white could be seen on almost all passersby.

Being from the Springfield area, I took this time to visit with
some friends, play a round of disc golf, and tour the town the evening before the meeting. The area has seen a lot of changes since I lived here: With a new hospital erected near campus, a new man-made whitewater section of Buck Creek (truly a fun time, speaking from experience), and the addition of a few beautification projects on campus, Wittenberg and Springfield are making the best of what they have and succeeding.

The Annual Meeting was held in James C. Shouvlin Hall, named for the late, great business leader of Springfield. Wittenberg's 14th president Mark Erickson welcomed us to campus and offered guided tours of the campus after the close of the meeting.

During lunch, a delicious one I might add, Dr. Warren Copeland, Faculty Director of the Center for Civic and Urban Engagement (also mayor of Springfield) outlined the wonderful things his students have done for the city of Springfield and how Wittenberg and the city have tightened their relationship through the creation of this new urban studies program. Students of the program also reviewed what the City of Springfield and Wittenberg have also done for them personally.

Coming to Wittenberg is always a special experience for me. Even though I did not attend the institution, I still feel a sense of home whenever I step foot on campus. I've made a lot of friends there and have spent some great times there. If you ever get the chance to drive through, stop the car and walk instead. You'll thank me.

For more information on Wittenberg University, click here for its webpage and here for its Wikipedia page.

photos (in order): Myers Hall, Buck Creek (Brad Lemon pictured), Weaver Observatory, and Koch Hall

- Dustin A. Holfinger